Example of Analyzing Clause Complex from A Text


Analyzing Clause Complexes from Reni Anggarini’s text about overcoming laziness ----> The Text (Let's Fight Laziness)
To download the PDF of the table below, click the highlighted link in the end of the of the post.



Clause simplex
What is laziness?
α
According to Kathleen Grace (2015),
<‘β>
1
laziness is usually meaning unwilling to work.
=2
It also means slow-moving
=3
does not like working
+4
or using any effort
1
It is most often used to judge
+2
α
and insult someone
who isn't being productive
1
For me,
<‘β>
laziness means
+3
α
when I don’t want to do something
+ β
1
that I must do
+2
such as doing an assignment,
+3
sweeping my room, and so on.
1
α
I think
‘β
the reasons that I’m being lazy is
x γ
 1
because I don’t have any motivation
+2
α
and also
because I think
‘γ
that I still have many time to do it.
+2
α
Such as
1
when I have an assignment
+2
and the deadline is in a week,
+3
then I will do the assignment on the last day to the deadline.
α
Well, sometimes I don’t want to do something
 x β
1
because I’m tired,
+2
but then I ask myself whether I’m really tired
+3
α
or just being lazy.
x β
It is because laziness is close to the tired.
α
According to Kathleen Grace (2015)
<‘β>
‘’If you are tired, you can postpone doing work. If you are lazy, you never want to do it’’
α
Actually, I think
<‘β>
1
I’m a lazy person
+2
but I am also productive in another side.
Clause simplex
I usually retype the materials in my laptop.
α
1
Sometimes I rewrite what I have learned on the stick-notes,
+2
so I can read it again to whenever without having to open the book again.
+3
α
It also useful for my friends
when they come to my room they can read it too. 
1
As a student in a university,
+2
laziness is not good for me
+3
α
So, the thing
that I do when I’m lazy to do my assignment is comparing myself to my friend.
α
When my friends are doing the assignment,
x β
1
it is motivating me to do my assignment too.
+2
Unless, I ask my friend to do the assignment together with me,
x γ
Because my learning style is study in group
Clause simplex
Two heads are better than one
α
1
Here is how to stop being lazy according to Patrick Foster (2017):
+2
First, understand what lies behind your laziness.
+3
Second, learn to know yourself better.
+4
Third, reward yourself.
+5
Forth, dump the excuses.
+6
And the last is work with others.



References:
Brains, Jet (2015). How do you know if you are lazy and not tired. Retrieved from https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-know-if-you-are-lazy-and-not-tired

Foster, Patrick. (2017).How To Stop Being Lazy And Kickstart Your Motivation. Retrieved from http://liveboldandbloom.com/01/productivity/how-to-stop-being-lazy